[Exim] Re: Help with Exim and LDAP

Author: Derrick 'dman' Hudson
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Re: Help with Exim and LDAP
--
On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 10:34:08AM -0500, David L. Harfst wrote:

| I'm looking for documentation on how to configure Exim with LDAP,
| and I can't seem to find decent information.

| Specifically, what I want to know how to do is the following:

| - use LDAP for SMTP AUTH

I now know how to make this work, via 'ldapauth' and via PAM. See
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/debian-user-200206/msg03782.html
for info.

| - use LDAP for aliasing and address verification
| - use LDAP for forwarding and vacation messages

| Basically, I want to use LDAP for everything.

I want to do this at work too.

| But I can't find specific information (or even general information,
| in some cases) on how to set up the config file to do this.

| Being new to Exim, I'm having quite a bit of trouble with it.

| Can someone point me in the right direction?

The spec has some details on how LDAP works in exim. The spec doesn't
say a whole lot about LDAP because LDAP is "just another" lookup type.
You can use it anywhere a lookup is allowed.

One way to start out is with the 'eximconfig' script in the debian
package. It will generate a config file (for 3.xx) that follows one
of 4 common patterns of usage. It gives you a start from which you
can work with. Philip's release also comes with a sample config file.
Start with one of those and have the spec handy to read through a few
times.

HTH,
-D

--

The teaching of the wise is a fountain of life,
turning a man from the snares of death.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/