Re: [Exim] using -f option with From: in the body

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Will Renkel {QA1403}
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] using -f option with From: in the body
On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Will Renkel {QA1403} wrote:

> I had a mail creation script that out From: in the header.
> It worked very well with sendmail on other machines.
> I had to use the -f option on some machines because thbey did NOT read mail=
> .
> So using -f I forced replies to a machine where I could read them.
> Again, I already had this thing.
> So now comes cygwin and exim.
> I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> Most stuff I had ported with almost no change.
> But I saw this anomoly and was surprised as exim dropped in so easily

I'm glad to hear of another satisfied customer.

As for -f overriding From:, I'm afraid I'd never heard of anything like
that. Mind you, I haven't been near Sendmail for about 12 years now.
Hmm. The man page on Solaris isn't very helpful:

     -f name
           Sets the name of  the  "from"  person  (that  is,  the
           sender of the mail).

My understanding (from previously using smail) was the -f overrides the
envelope "from", not the header line From:. Anybody got any more
substantial Sendmail documentation?