Re: [Exim] Newbie looking for lots of help....

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Greg Ward
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] Newbie looking for lots of help....
On 12 June 2002, Jim Pallister said:
> I am getting lost setting up exim. Totally new to this MTA.

You might want to consider buying Philip Hazel's book on Exim. It
doesn't cover Exim 4, but once you understand the basics, it's not too
hard to make the switch from Exim 3 to 4.

> How do I setup alias files for users.
> Do i use mailbox or maildirs - if so where do the go?

Have you even read the manual? Have you looked at the sample
configuration file? The sample config file should be setup to handle
the conventional /etc/aliases file, similiar to how postfix and sendmail
work. It should also be setup to deliver to mbox files in a central
directory, which is the "classic" Unix setup.

What you decide to do depends more on your IMAP/POP server than anything
else. If your IMAP/POP server supports Maildir, use it -- in general,
it's more reliable than mbox, and much faster at accessing single
messages (although slower at accessing all messages at once).
Obviously, it's enormously faster when deleting single messages.

> When  run exim now and send mail from a PC to another PC exim logs state
>     unknown local-part "user" in domain "office.sys"

Which version of Exim are you using? What files *have* you configured?
What routers (or directors if Exim 3) do you have? What transports do
you have?

        Greg