[Exim] Re: Re: Mail relay problems

Autor: Derrick 'dman' Hudson
A: exim
Assumpte: [Exim] Re: Re: Mail relay problems
--
On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 09:11:40AM +0100, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:
| On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 06:45:38PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
| > On the positive side, I don't actually reject much junk anymore. I
| > think my address must have been marked as bad on the spam lists since
| > the spam couldn't get through :-).

| Please let me know how you did this, I've been rejecting large amounts
| of spam for at least a year, and I've seen no drop in the levels.

What do you mean by "reject"?

Here's what I do :
    1)  require verify = header_syntax

        This kills quite a bit of stuff at SMTP time.  For example
            To: <Mainly Millionaires>
        (yeah, I'm a millionaire, can you believe it?)

    2)  A hodge-podge of ACL rejections.  I reject a variety of
        automatic virus warning messages and "read receipts" or
        anything Content-Type: application/ms-tnef that comes from the
        outhouse.  These used to 'fail' in my system filter, but I've
        moved a bunch of these up to the ACL level.

    3)  http://marc.merlins.org/linux/exim/sa.html

        I permanently reject stuff over 10.0 and accept everything
        else.  I don't scan locally generated mail, already-scanned
        mail, and certain From: addresses.  I save all rejected
        messages in a psuedo-maildir folder.  (the directory it saves
        to happens to work like a maildir folder because I made it
        that way)

I think #3 is the real key, but #1 is a good sanity check in the first
place and #2 is just plain doable with no ill effects. I see "new"
messages in the reject folder when they arrive, and I check my
rejectlog periodically. When I first went live with sa-exim I saw
several messages a day hitting the junk pile. Now I see one or two.
The advantage is I reject the mail at SMTP time rather than creating a
bounce later. If you don't reject the mail, then the address is
"verified" and not likely to be removed from the spam lists.

| Though I am starting to see more coming to my role list-posting
| addresses.

| But that's pretty easy to filter, I just send everything that doesn't come
| from the list to those addresses to a spam folder.

That's an interesting trick. I only have one address and I use it for
everything. (except for exim-users, I still have that pointed to my
school address (which forwards to my main address) in case my server
becomes unusable again for some reason)

HTH,
-D

--

Be sure of this:  The wicked will not go unpunished,
but those who are righteous will go free.