Re: [Exim] multiple domains (envelope-to header)

Author: Dave C.
To: NOC - KP^2
CC: Exim List
Subject: Re: [Exim] multiple domains (envelope-to header)
On Sat, 27 Apr 2002, NOC - KP^2 wrote:

> I am currently trying to setup multiple domains (real, not virtual) on a
> single exim server. I've searched through the mail list archives for

Er, well, normally the term 'virtual mail' is used to refer to one
server providing seperate email namespaces for multiple email domains.

One thing you have to sort out, is if the user/accounts are real unix
users, what do you do if you have a user in one domain, who wants his
email to be 'joe@???', you create the unix user joe, then
someone else wants 'joe@???' - you cant have two unix users
named 'joe'. Yoiu could use the full email address as the unix username,
but unfortunately, the max length for a domain name is far more than the
usual max length of a unix username.

Hence this sort of thing is normally accompished by 'virtualizing' the
address-space for each domain, so that each domain is seperate from the
others, and also seperate from the unix username space.. One can use
virtual aliasfiles to deliver to different local unix users, this only
virtualizes delivery, pop/imap/etc access would still be in a shared
namespace, or one can fully virtualize it by directly storing mail for
each domain in a different subdirectory, and arranging for the
pop/imap/etc daemons to recognize and work with this structure as well,
either by using multiple IP addresses, one for each domain, or including
the domain-part in the 'username' when accessing the account by
pop/imap/etc..

Basically, the various FAQ's/cookbooks on 'virtual' domains are exactly
what you are looking for. Your distinction of 'real' vs 'virtual'
domains is misguided..