Re: [Exim] Delays send to AOL

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Matthew Byng-Maddick
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] Delays send to AOL
On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 04:36:50PM -0400, Dave C. wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:
> > well, it's pretty clear to me that xxx-teens-9478561@??? can go
> > straight in the bin, but <some potentially plausible localpart>@homtail.com
> > might be trivially switchable, or you may be able to mail to the appropriate
> > postmaster at the remote site.
> It is not the postmasters job to fix addresses mistyped by incompetent
> boobs. If you want your mail to go through, use the correct address.

Erm, so what do you consider to be the postmaster's job? (with an apostrophe,
please?) (more to the point, why do you consider that the "postmaster"
address ought to always be deliverable?)

> > Robustness Principle. If you didn't want to take responsibility for it at
> > SMTP time, that's different.

I note you didn't answer this point.

> > True, but it's mentioned as something they consider sensible:
> > RFC2821 S4.5.5
> > |                                                            (If the
> > |    delivery of such a notification message fails, that usually indicates
> > |    a problem with the mail system of the host to which the notification
> > |    message is addressed.  For this reason, at some hosts the MTA is set
> > |    up to forward such failed notification messages to someone who is
> > |    able to fix problems with the mail system, e.g., via the postmaster
> > |    alias.)

> Ah, but that RFC talks about a different Internet, where MUA's ran on

That RFC was *2*821, the header of which is reproduced:
| Network Working Group                                 J. Klensin, Editor
| Request for Comments: 2821                             AT&T Laboratories
| Obsoletes: 821, 974, 1869                                     April 2001
| Updates: 1123
| Category: Standards Track

You may wish to note the date on this.

> multiuser machines which automatically enforced correct return-path, and
> before people were trying to sell everything from weight loss cream to
> ways to MAKE MONEY FAST by email.

Did people trim quoted text properly and not top-post then, too?

> These days, "if the delivery of such a notification fails, that
> usually indicates" that the message is spam, or, less frequently, a
> user-configuration error. For this reasons, there is the

This being the well-known Internet Researcher David Chiodo? Come on, at
least Greg Ward has *some* credentials, he maintains an MTA, what credentials
do you have for saying this? Note, I'm not claiming that I have any.

> ignore_errmsg_errors option, which gets this crap off your mailqueue
> without wasting your time.

I will ask again, what do you consider to be the postmaster's job?

MBM