[Exim] Config Request?

Author: Chris Knipe
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Config Request?
--
Hi all,

I was just wondering quickly whether or not it may not be a good idea to
change exim -C <file> for config checking, so that it will actually see
whether exim can perform all the file opens or lookups??

In many instances (such as warnmsg_file, prohibition_message,
tls_certificate, etc) options are only checked for syntax, and not
whether the exim user can actually open and work with files specified.

A configuration option to test a configuration AS WELL as all lookups /
includes / directors / etc will 100% ensure you have a working config.
Not like the current scenario where a configuration is seen as working
only when it has the correct syntax (which, needless to say is only half
of what should be checked in my books).... I think this will also in
general cut allot of "permissions" related problems out, because the mail
admin will know if there is any permission problems before exim is
actually started by using the config test....

With a permissions check, I am talking about such things as exim being
able to open files (alias files, .forward, mailboxes, certificates,
general files included as options from the config, lookups, etc)...

Just an idea ;) Use it, abuse it, like it, or don't like it :>

--

Regards,
Chris Knipe

            Secret hacker rule #11: hackers read manuals.