Re: [Exim] Slightly Off-Topic: Exim Monitor Software

Author: Ollie Cook
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Slightly Off-Topic: Exim Monitor Software
On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 08:31:44PM +0100, Ollie Cook wrote:
> Some of the features are so far:
>
>  - Counts total number of queue messages
>  - Counts number of frozen queue messages
>  - Distinct 'server' and 'client' parts
>  - Each client (on each mail server) sends data regarding queue length to the
>    server at configurable intervals
>  - Server collates and stores this information
>  - Server is linked with RRDtool[1] to make graphical representations of the
>    data.
>  - Written in C for speed

> I'm planning to have the client monitor other aspects of the mail servers such
> as load, disk activity, throughput etc.
>
> At this point I'm just testing the water to see if people would find this kind
> of software useful, and what features they'd like to see.

Thanks to those of you who mailed me with comments about this project.

The general consensus was that such a tool would be useful for people, but that
it should focus on monitoring Exim itself, rather than the general state of the
server - for which there are of course plenty of suitable tools.

Consequently my ideas about the project have shifted somewhat, and the current
plan differs from that which I originally stated.

There is a website set up now, where you can monitor development of the project.
There's currently some documentation but no actual software, as yet. There is
also a mailing list which you are all welcome to join.

http://www.olliecook.net/projects/exim_monitor/