Re: [Exim] Refusing mail because of missing MX record

Author: John W Baxter
To: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [Exim] Refusing mail because of missing MX record
At 19:52 +0300 4/1/2002, Lauri Tischler wrote:
>There was some discussion about that on another forum.
>Any pros or cons ??
>
>Idea was that if sending server does not have valid MX record
>it is so badly administered that it is propably sending spam
>as well (and their users have lice and bad breath) :)

MX records identify servers which are used to receive mail from the world.
There is no obvious reasons why the same servers send the mail for the
entity in question. And there are several reasons for the receiving and
sending servers to be distinct groups.

You will reject mail from some small entities whose mail you might not want
to reject.

At the moment I looked, the most recent mail received from Microsoft had
come in from
smtppassport5.microsoft.com (the EHLO and the IP address agreed on that).

Unless I'm missing something, that's not listed as an MX for either
microsoft.com or for smtppassport5.microsoft.com (or for passport.com, for
that matter).

--John

--
John Baxter   jwblist@???      Port Ludlow, WA, USA