Re: [Exim] Exim_Reject Log

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Phil White
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim_Reject Log
On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Phil White wrote:

> As a second side, I am getting puzzled about the point at which the log entry
> is writted. Example:
> 2002-03-20 14:28:02 16nh4M-0001jb-00 warning: from
> <barry2002@???>: syntax error in 'To' header: "@" or "."
> expected after "Undisclosed": failing address is: <Undisclosed Recipients>
> Recipients: jon@???

<snip>

> The line I am most interested in ATM is the final X-DCC- entry.
> Incoming smtp mail is passed to an external script, which adds this header,
> and then passes the mail message back to exim for delivery. Therefore,
> HOW is this line getting logged? The message should, in theory, be logged at
> close of smtp dialog, before this line has been added!
> <which it is - each message gets logged twice>

You've answered your own question here. Each message passes through Exim
twice, so it gets logged twice.

> (Could this imply a bug in exim. Not only should it recognise an error, but
> surely it should correct it if possible?)
> ie. To: "Fred Bloggs" <fred@???>>,
>     To: Fred Bloggs <fred@???>,

Exim does not correct errors in headers.

> Lastly, is there any way I can include a message header to indicate that exim
> has detected an inconsistency, such as
> no valid sender in headers
> syntax error in headers

In Exim 4 you should be able to do this with a suitable ACL, such as:

  warn message = your-custom-header: your custom contents here
       verify = header_syntax