Re: [Exim] Refusing mail because of missing MX record

Author: Dan Evans
To: exim
Subject: Re: [Exim] Refusing mail because of missing MX record
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tabor J. Wells" <twells@???>
To: "Lauri Tischler" <lauri.tischler@???>
Cc: <exim-users@???>
Sent: Monday, April 01, 2002 9:06 PM

> On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 07:52:43PM +0300,
> Lauri Tischler <lauri.tischler@???> is thought to have said:
>
> > There was some discussion about that on another forum.
> > Any pros or cons ??
> >
> > Idea was that if sending server does not have valid MX record
> > it is so badly administered that it is propably sending spam
> > as well (and their users have lice and bad breath) :)
> >
> > Is there way to do that on Exim ?
> > By reading the docs, mx_domain affects sending only.
>
> Presumably this is something you could do via the sender callback stuff.
> See Chapter 45 and in particular 45.3 of the Exim 3 specification or
> Chapter 37.10 for Exim 4.

I'd doubt it. There is no requirement in any of the RFC's that an MX records
exists. If there is no MX, then an MTA will send to the first A record it
finds, preferably the domain itself.

Having said that, I know more in about mail and DNS in general than I do
about Exim in particular, so am quite ready to be told otherwise.

Dan