Re: [Exim] Spamassassin config for running from exim

Author: dman
To: exim-users, Spamassassin-talk
Subject: Re: [Exim] Spamassassin config for running from exim
On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 02:09:54PM -0700, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> [...]

[...]

| I've got this configuration working here (since yesterday :-) and it's
| working fine, much easier to set up than other methods I've seen. However,
| I've got a question: Can you think of a scenario where a message would hit
| the spamcheck_director and _already_ be flagged as spam? I was about to
| remove the header check, thinking it was superfluous (and also subject to
| abuse by spam mailers), since I can't think of a situation where this would
| be necessary.

That condition is not likely to occur, but it would be great if
spammers "abused" it :-). The X-Spam-Flag will only exist in messages
that SA thinks are spam. If a spammer sticks it in, then they are
finally being nice and advertising that the message is spam.

| Also, your comments say that you're scanning messages "that didn't originate
| locally", but I don't see that as part of the condition.

Right. At one point it had that condition, but I removed it when I
was testing some SA rules (and wanted my locally generated mail to be
scanned). No doubt I've just confused you, but see below for a
historical explanation.

| With this configuration, a locally originated message to another
| local user _does_ get checked (which is fine by me),

If you don't want these messages to be checked use this condition :

    condition = "${if and { {!def:h_X-Spam-Flag:} {!eq {$received_protocol}{spam-scanned}} {!eq {$received_protocol}{local}} } {1}{0}}"

| but a locally generated message to some non-local domain doesn't get
| checked.

If you want these messages to get checked, then use exim4 and move the
spamcheck router to the top of the list. You might be able to get
exim3 to do this too, but it isn't quite as simple an orthogonal.

It's neat to see how when you share something it can come back even
better. Those comments and some of the specific config options were
part of what I came up with and published at
http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/config_docs/. Nigel then improved it and
sent it back to the list. The docs have just been updated. (in case
you're wondering how I can talk about the history of the comments in
Nigel's config :-)).

-D

--

 "Piracy is not a technological issue. It's a behavior issue."
                                                       --Steve Jobs