Re: [Exim] not receiving mail and reverse dns

Author: dman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] not receiving mail and reverse dns
On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 03:17:29PM -0600, Terry Shows wrote:
| Dman,

| Could it be because your DNS entry either isn't right,

Your lookup gives the right data (apart from the known problems with
the secondary).

| or hasn't had time to populate all of the other hosts out there yet?

It should take less than a day to propagate, right? ;-). The admin
and I set up the public interface yesterday afternoon.

| Here is what I get when I do a NSLOOKUP for you:

(snipped)
| ------------------------------
| I tried to open an SMTP connection to this address, and didn't get an
| answer.

That would be a problem. Hrm. If I try telnet from school (which is
physically far away) I get a timeout. The odd (but perhaps
informative) thing is if I try to access the public interface from a
(masqueraded) internal machine it works. In addition, after the EHLO,
exim tells me the connection is from public ip of the masquerade
machine. If I go straight to the internal interface it reports the
private IP.

| (of course, if you can't receive email, then you won't get this answer will
| you?)

You missed the part about my school address (the one subscribed to
exim-users and given in my From:) is working in a somewhat convoluted
way.

Thanks for pointing out the blockage I hadn't noticed before. I'll
double check my firewall and, if that fails, check with the admin
regarding the other end of my link. Hmm, even traceroute fails; and
it fails one hop away from my box.

-D

--

An anxious heart weighs a man down,