Re: [Exim] My Exim virus filter

Author: John W Baxter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] My Exim virus filter
At 16:33 +0000 3/6/2002, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 10:23:51AM -0500, Greg Ward wrote:
>> I've finally put up a web page where people can find my Exim virus
>> filter; I refer to it occasionally on this list, and usually get a
>> http://starship.python.net/~gward/exim/
>> This filter is derived from Nigel's Generic Windows Executable Content
>> filter; see the web page for details.
>
>Can I just mention that I think the "once" and "once_repeat" are a bad
>idea. Unlike a vacation message, where the message will still get delivered,
>this could potentially lose you mail, and breaks reliable mail delivery
>paradigms.
>
>This is an unlikely situation I understand, but I feel it's a potential
>problem.

On the other hand, it can avoid mail storms. (eg, local user's infected
mail program sends out many worm instances without user's knowledge...user
gets a few hundred rejects...user calls support.)

We're looking at sending notice on the first of a "set" and then sending
summaries every few hours (Exim needs outside help for that).

--John

--
John Baxter   jwblist@???      Port Ludlow, WA, USA