Re: [Exim] exim -bs -oMa

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Joachim Wieland
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim -bs -oMa
On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Joachim Wieland wrote:

> Is there a special reason why you want the -oM family to work only for
> locally submitted messages? It's easy to trick exim so I wonder if there
> are any pitfalls.

Well, at the time I didn't see any need to be able to override the real
IP address on a genuine TCP/IP call. The -oM stuff (copied from Smail)
was there for testing and for "faking" messages to look as if they came
from a remote host (possibly useful with some other kind of incoming
transport - I hadn't considered TCP/IP itself in this connection).

Also, as this was part of Exim from the very beginning, I suspect I
hadn't even considered inetd at all. Certainly the early Exims worked
only with a daemon for TCP/IP input, IIRC.