[Exim] Re[2]: exim 3 vs. 4

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Richard Welty
Para: exim-users
Asunto: [Exim] Re[2]: exim 3 vs. 4
On Mon, 14 Jan 2002 13:26:14 +0800 Suresh Ramasubramanian <mallet@???> wrote:

> +++ Richard Welty [exim-users] <13/01/02 23:15 -0500>:
> > over the next week, i'm going to be building a couple of OpenBSD based
> > mail servers for a client. i'm currently pondering the question of
> > whether to go with exim 3.34 or the alpha exim 4.

> 3.34 is stable - though practically end of life. Recommended for
> production
> use I think. Exim 4 would mean that you _might_ have to rush to rebuild
> exim
> every time a serious enough bug came up.

i understand your point; the tradeoff is that i'm going to be training
their IT staff on exim configuration. if it were 3.34 vs 3.4, with no major
configuration file changes in the offing, that'd be oen thing, but we have
the whole new can of worms with ACLs and the elmination of the distinction
between routers and directors. i am pretty sure i don't want to have to
train them twice; they're on a budget.

> > i've got the alpha running on my laptop; in a very simple
> configuration,
> > it's been quite reliable. how has it been going for others running more
> > complex configs?

> Any advantages other than configuration-wise? Performance seems to be a
> bit
> better on my desktop here (which I use to run a system of autoresponders
> and
> a small mailing list is all, other than a few tons of list mail from
> various
> lists I read). Never seen it in production though.

i put it on the laptop as i wanted to keep my imap folders on the machine i
carry around with me, for convenience in travel when i'm not online.
initially i had exim running to take local deliveries from fetchmail (then
i switched to getmail, which delivers directly, eliminating that need), and
to accept outbound email from mahogany (the mail client i am using, which
doesn't support a queue for later delivery mode at the present time.)

exim 3.951 has been simple to configure and dead reliable in this
application. exim 3.34 would probably have been comparable in complexity,
but with exim 4 looming, i wanted to get a look at it, and it seemed a risk
worth taking.

richard
--
Richard Welty