Re: [Exim] High Load

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Joseph Kezar
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] High Load
On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Joseph Kezar wrote:

> It happened again at 9:00pm. Exim was the top 6 processes. The load

was at 17. At this point Exim stopped exepting connections. The
contents of ended with: handling mail from mx1.doc.state.vt.us. And it
just hung there. At this point I stopped exim.

What exactly do you mean by "stopped exim"? I suspect you mean you
stopped the daemon. That will stop new SMTP messages arriving and new
queue runners starting, but it will not affect existing delivery
processes, nor messages arriving not via SMTP.

Added:
smtp_max_connections = 600(is this > peasable?). After I started it a
couple of seconds later it got the same problem.

Stopping and starting for a few seconds will make little difference.
EXCEPT: every time you restart the daemon, if forgets about processes
that were previously running. So it starts counting (up to 600 in your
case) again from zero. If the problem is too many processes, restarting
it will make things worse. Have you tried reducing 600 to something
smaller?

> Is there some way I can invoke

-d9 after the daemon is already started?

No. It has thrown away the connection to the terminal.

> Is there a way I can put the

output to a file rather that my screen? I tried exim -bd -q1h >
/var/log/exim_debug

Debugging output is written to stderr, not stdout. As documented under -d.