[Exim] Blocking messages from 'frozen' senders

Author: I. Forbes
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Blocking messages from 'frozen' senders
Hello All

A week back I suggested using a "sender_reject" setting to reject e-
mail from senders who's names appear as the destinations of
"frozen" messages on the mail queue.

I have written a python script to do this. If you are interested, you
can download it from
http://www.zsd.co.za/~iforbes/blockFrozenSenders.py

On the positive side, the script has no side effects. What gets
blocked seems to be entirely spam and viruses.

On the negative side, the number of messages rejected solely due
to this script is not very high in relation to rejects from other causes.
This obviously varies with the nature of your configuration and the
accounts on the system. Your milage may vary.

Every blocked spam or virus is one less, and I think this was worth
the exercise. It may be a useful function to incorporate into exim
proper. At that level it would be much more efficient and effective
as the blocked senders could be added as and when messages
are frozen.

If you try it please let me know how it works for you.

Regards

Ian

Ian Forbes ZSD
http://www.zsd.co.za
Office: +27 21 683-1388 Fax: +27 21 674-1106
Snail Mail: P.O. Box 46827, Glosderry, 7702, South Africa