[Exim] Re: MAIL FROM:<> being rejected in exim 3.33?

Author: Suresh Ramasubramanian
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Re: MAIL FROM:<> being rejected in exim 3.33?
+++ Philip Hazel [exim-users] <28/11/01 12:04 +0000>:
> I can't see any problem here.
> The configuration of that host must contain headers_sender_verify or
> headers_sender_verify_errmsg. This means that the administrator of the

That's right. However, the first time, I was downloading mail using
fetchmail onto my workstation (which is behind NAT, and the IP of the NAT
router has no MX records of any kind - forward / reverse DNS
ipvpn[foo].myisp.com), with fetchmail handing mail off to localhost:25 (which
is exim 3.33). Only, thanks to a stupid error in the procmailrc on this new
machine, bounces with MAIL FROM:<> were going back to the list admin's
address, rejected by sourceforge and therefore stuck in my mail queue.

Ditto with the other time I typo'd the address of a friend who's got an
account on my hserus.net domain when sending mail from my server (which has a
hostname that doesn't exist on the 'net).

First sight I thought my ISP - and then sourceforge - had gone about
rejecting MAIL FROM:<>, then knowing Mark Kerlin's views on people who do
reject mail from:<> I thought I'd do a little digging ;)

    -srs
--
Suresh Ramasubramanian  <---->  mallet <at> efn dot org