Re: [Exim] Re: MAIL FROM:<> being rejected in exim 3.33?

Author: Marc MERLIN
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: MAIL FROM:<> being rejected in exim 3.33?
On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 08:17:36PM +0800, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> ipvpn[foo].myisp.com), with fetchmail handing mail off to localhost:25 (which

First rule of fetchmail, don't do that. It's is very stupid default IMO.
Just have fetchmail deliver with procmail or something like that:
mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d %T"

> First sight I thought my ISP - and then sourceforge - had gone about
> rejecting MAIL FROM:<>, then knowing Mark Kerlin's views on people who do

Spelling close but not enough :-)

BTW, SF's exim returns a more explicit message

gandalf:~$ telnet lists.sf.net smtp
Trying 216.136.171.198...
Connected to lists.sourceforge.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 usw-sf-list1.sourceforge.net ESMTP Exim 3.31-VA-mm2 #1 Sat, 01 Dec 2001 09:47:44 -0800 - SF usw-list mm5
mail from: <>
250 <> is syntactically correct
rcpt to: <postmaster@???>
250 <postmaster@???> is syntactically correct
data
354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
.
550-Envelope sender verification failed
550 rejected: there is no valid sender in any header line (envelope sender is <>). Are you sure your domain in From: and/or Reply-To: resolves from the internet (host -t MX domain) and can be connected back to for delivery of replies?

That way, it's more clear that the problem is the header from and not the
envelope from.

Marc

Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/ | Finger marc_f@??? for PGP key