Re: [Exim] Exim Build under SCO Openserver 5.0.6

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Frank S. Bernhardt
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Philip Hazel
Kopio: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [Exim] Exim Build under SCO Openserver 5.0.6
Ok. Now I'm really confused.

I copied all of exim-3.33 to my SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 machine where I had
successfully built Apache/PHP/MySQL.

I had an initial problem that it couldn't find /usr/lib/libsocket.so.2 so I
did a ln -s libsocket.so libsocket.so.2.

After another make it complained it couldn't find -ldb. Now on that machine I
had gdbm-1.7.3 installed so I took out the DBMLIB=-ldb from the Makefile.

The damn thing built clean!

I then re-added perl.o, did a make makefile then a make.

It built clean too!

Ok, now this probably isn't the list to ask these kinds of questions but, here
goes:

1) How do I know or can I tell what libraries I need to make something like
exim or any other package? Where should these libraries come from and where
should they be placed (/usr/lib, /usr/local/lib, ...)?

2) What tools need to be installed? (gcc, cc, make, gnu make, flex, bison,
ar,....)?

3) If I take the runtime to another machine with no develpment system on it,
will it run without all the above libraries and programs?

Remember, I really don't know much about compiling stuff under C. It took me 2
man weeks to get my apache/php/mysql built and that only with a lot of outside
help. I'm not sure I could reproduce the results on a new machine (case in
point) as I installed tons of different libraries and programs until it
finally built (shotgun approach).

Is there a document/book explaining all this?

I don't want to become a C programmer, I just want to use the programs.

Yes, I know, I should move to a Linux distro from SCO Openserver, but most of
my customers are still running SCO so I have to support them.

Sorry if I seem frustrated, I am. Although exim built clean, I would like to
know what I did to get it to build cleanly. There has to be a science to it.

--

Regards

Frank S. Bernhardt
b.c.s.i.