Re: [Exim] Virtual Domains

Author: Jeremy C. Reed
To: Marc Perkel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Virtual Domains
Marc,

On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, Marc Perkel wrote:

> I also need other features, virtual real mailboxes, virtual users,
> etc. I am currently using sendmail with Linuxconf which supplies a
> program called vdeliver. What I want to do is duplicate the
> functionality of vdeliver or interface to vdeliver. Anyhow - here's
> the rules that vdeliver uses. And - ipop3d uses these same locations
> and rules.
>
> Virtual mail directories:
>
> /var/spool/vhome/$domain/$local_part

> Virtual Aliases:
>
> /etc/vmail/aliases.$domain
>
> Virtual passwd and shadow files (same format as passwd and shadow):
>
> /etc/vmail/passwd.$domain
> /etc/vmail/shadow.$domain
>
> Virtual home Directories:
>
> /vhome/$domain/home/$local_part
>
> Anyhow - it would be very handy if Exim could support this format. It

Exim can support that format.

> would instantly be compatible with Linuxconf, ipop3d, and vdeliver.

Linuxconf's vdeliver is not needed; Exim can do the delivery itself.

> And I think those of you who are sharper at this than I am could make
> this happen without a lot of effort, and save yourself work in the
> process. Anyone interested?

Interested in what?

Anyways, have a look at the Exim FAQ section 315: C007, C009, C011, C015
and C016. Also, I have a sample config that you can slightly tweak to make
it work for you at
http://www.reedmedia.net/software/virtualmail-pop3d/mda/configure-for-exim-3.33

(I don't use ipop3d; I use vm-pop3d for the virtual domains email
hosting. I know that several people have tweaked vm-pop3d to work with
the Linuxconf format.)

Jeremy C. Reed
echo 'G014AE824B0-07CC?/JJFFFI?D64CB>D=3C427=>;>6HI2><J' |
tr /-_ :\ Sc-y./ | sed swxw`uname`w