Re: [Exim] Rejecting all connections from non-local hosts

Author: Tom Huckstep
To: Dr Andrew C Aitchison
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Rejecting all connections from non-local hosts
Dr Andrew C Aitchison writes:
> Do you need to run a mail listener at all ?
> My workstations run "exim -q1h" not "exim -bd -q1h".

I run exim through inetd.

> Which MUAs talk to port 25 on the local host, rather than running
> exim themselves ?

It's fetchmail I'm worried about. The man page says that it's better
to use SMTP, as opposed to running a command:

       -m <command>, --mda <command>
              (Keyword:  mda)  You can force mail to be passed to
              an MDA directly (rather than forwarded to port  25)
              with  the  -mda  or  -m option.  Be aware that this
              disables some valuable  resource-exhaustion  checks
              and error handling provided by SMTP listeners; it's
              not a good idea unless running an SMTP listener  is
              impossible.

I'm not really sure if that's true though, because inetd simply runs
/usr/sbin/exim -bs. I don't really understand whether or not
fetchmail sends SMTP commands to the --mda command. If it does then I
expect I could just use '--mda=/usr/sbin/exim -bs', otherwise I'll
stick to the listener.

Tom