Re: [Exim] Rejecting all connections from non-local hosts

Author: Dr Andrew C Aitchison
To: Tom Huckstep
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Rejecting all connections from non-local hosts
On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Tom Huckstep wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm sorry if this is a fairly basic question, but I can't find any
> reference to it in the FAQ.
>
> I have exim running on a workstation, and use it to send all my
> outgoing mail, by using sendmail, and to collect incoming mail in
> connection with fetchmail.
>
> I want to reject all connections from non-local hosts, so that no-one
> can connect to my computer to send me mail.

Do you need to run a mail listener at all ?
My workstations run "exim -q1h" not "exim -bd -q1h".

Which MUAs talk to port 25 on the local host, rather than running
exim themselves ?
(You do want a daemo, for queue running, in case deliveries fail
and need to be retried later).

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison        Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
A.C.Aitchison@???    http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna