Re: [Exim] Requirements for exim or alternative to Exim

Author: John Horne
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Requirements for exim or alternative to Exim
On 25-Aug-2001 at 18:56:19 P Kirk wrote:
> Exim is my preferred MTA. I installed Berkeley DB to enable Exim but
> otherwise have no use for it.

[snipped]

> Alternatively, can Exim stand alone? Section 4.9 of the manual says you
> don't need any external files or libraries if you set LOOKUP_CDB=yes. Am
> I misreading this?

An interesting point - I wonder if by turning LOOKUP_DBM off Exim still
requires DBM? If not, then yes Exim would run stand-alone with no additional
requirements - and since your server is only to support 4 people this would
obviously be better for you.

Yes, Exim contains the lookup code for CDB files. However, you need to
create the CDB files initially and this requires the CDB package (ftp site
in the Makefile I think).

John.