Re: [Exim] filtering ideas for stopping spam: Message-Id

Author: Dave C.
To: Marc MERLIN
CC: Jeremy C. Reed, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] filtering ideas for stopping spam: Message-Id
One thing this lets through is messages which have NO Message-ID:
header, since exim adds a proper one if it is missing completely.

Wishlist for Exim4: The ability to specify where messages with a
completely missing Message-ID are accepted from (a desirable setting
would be "any hosts in host_accept_relay, or any host that has
succesfully authenticated" - to allow ones one users/customers that may
have broken MUA's through, but outside hosts delivering mail for you
must have a proper message id..)

Actually, this probably wont be of much use for long, since the spammers
would just start putting in valid message IDs.. sigh..

In fact, once ANY anti-spam practice becomes commonplace, spammers find
a way around it..

(OT) By the way, anyone running formmail? Check your logs on that
machine. Formmail has a wide-open security hole and it is now becoming
common for spammers to use your formmail to relay their spam.. Matts
script archive actually has an update - it involves maintaining a list
of authorized formmail recpients..