Re: [Exim] filtering ideas for stopping spam: Message-Id

Author: Marc MERLIN
To: Jeremy C. Reed
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] filtering ideas for stopping spam: Message-Id
On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 09:30:17AM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Sometimes I receive spam with no Message-Id or it is set to <>.
>
> Does anyone have any advice on whether I should block mail with
> missing Message-Id or set to "<>"? (Does anyone have success with this?)

Yes, I do.

From my system_filter:

if $header_message-id matches "<[^>]+@>"
then
logfile /var/log/exim/nullmesgidbouncedemail.log 0600
logwrite "$tod_log $message_id envelope: $sender_address, From: $h_from ($sender_host_name[$sender_host_address]) => $recipients (recipients=$recipients_count) subject=$header_subject\n$message_headers"

  # Let's not bounce errors or mails back to us :-)
  if not error_message
  then
    fail text "Sorry, but your message-ID is broken, apparently because your\n\
             hostname isn't set right\n\
             You need to fix this before you can send us mail.\n"
  endif

  save /var/spool/exim/rejects/nullmesgidbouncedemail 0644
  seen finish
endif

Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/ | Finger marc_f@??? for PGP key