Re: [Exim] Off topic: IPv6 [was: Very Slow response: exim …

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Tim Chown
A: Philip Hazel
Cc: Hayling, David, Exim Users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Off topic: IPv6 [was: Very Slow response: exim -bt]
On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Philip Hazel wrote:

> Basically my impression of the AAAA/A6 argument was: "renumbering is
> still itself undergoing huge discussion. AAAA is already deployed and
> working perfectly satisfactorily in many networks[*]. A6 seems to have a
> number of problems of its own (e.g. longer queries) and it is not clear
> what problems it might solve. Therefore, we should go with AAAA at this
> time."

I think that's fair comment.

> [*] Out in the Far East they are well ahead on Ipv6, it seems, owing to
> a much more severe shortage of IPv4 addresses than we have in the west.

Very true, and WIDE also has the luxury of a large team of people funded
to develop sofware such as KAME.

That said, totting up the IPv6 deployed routers in European academic
networks, there's probably a couple of hundred such routers at or within
one hop of top-level activity. I think Germany has the most, thanks to
the JOIN project, which connects over 100 customers, I believe.

There's two big (~20M euro) projects seeding IPv6 connectivity for
commercial and academic pan-european networks that will begin in the next
few months, subject to successful negotiation with the European Commission.

Of interest to Cambridge and Imperial is the likely launch of a UKERNA
backed "service" in the UK before the coming academic year.

Tim