Re: [Exim] [BUG?] 3.32: IPv6 changes cause Exim to not start

Author: Phil Brutsche
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] [BUG?] 3.32: IPv6 changes cause Exim to not start
On 10 Aug 2001 01:11:21 +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> That depends entirely on how your system handles being asked for an
> AF_INET6 socket when there isn't IPv6 support. That's why I suggested
> compiling a mock-up and confirming that the system is behaving itself.
> Which I suspect it is not.

I think it does.

Running exim with the "-bd -d9" parameters gives me this on NetBSD:

Exim version 3.32 debug level 9 uid=0 gid=0
probably Berkeley DB version 1.8x (compatibility mode)
Caller is an admin user
Caller is a trusted user
originator: uid=0 gid=0 login=root name=Charlie Root
port = 25
listening on all interfaces (IPv4)
LOG: 0 PANIC DIE
IPv6 socket creation failed: Protocol not supported
search_tidyup called

and this 5 minutes ago on Linux:

Exim version 3.32 debug level 9 uid=0 gid=0
Berkeley DB: Sleepycat Software: DB 2.4.14: (6/2/98)
fury.brutsche.com in local_domains? yes (matched fury.brutsche.com)
Unable to create IPv6 socket to find interface addresses:
error 97 Address family not supported by protocol
Trying for an IPv4 socket
Actual local interface address is 127.0.0.1 (lo)
Actual local interface address is 192.168.0.9 (eth0)
Caller is an admin user
Caller is a trusted user
user name "root" extracted from gecos field "root"
originator: uid=0 gid=0 login=root name=root
port = 25
listening on all interfaces (IPv4)
LOG: 0 PANIC DIE
IPv6 socket creation failed: Address family not supported by protocol
search_tidyup called

Linux reports "protocol not supported" just fine. So does NetBSD. And
I'm pretty sure FreeBSD will as well once I power on that particular
computer then compile and test Exim.

I think Exim is acting incorrectly by failing when it can still open a
network socket. That's why I say it's a bug.

> With a little work, you could actually know and say something useful.
> :-)

See above.

I *still* think it's an Exim bug.

--