Re: [Exim] [BUG?] 3.32: IPv6 changes cause Exim to not start

Author: Kevin Sindhu
To: Phil Brutsche
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] [BUG?] 3.32: IPv6 changes cause Exim to not start
On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 06:53:26PM -0500, Phil Brutsche penned:

> Unable to create IPv6 socket to find interface addresses:
> error 97 Address family not supported by protocol

Ah. So it only happens if:

1) Exim 3.32 is compiled with IPv6 support
2) OS does not support IPv6.

Cool!;-).

So how do we want to catch this exception?

Suggestions:

    1) Painc and tell the user not to use IPv6 on a non-Ipv6 speaking
    OS. I am thinking "Error: What? Can't you see I need IPv6 capable
    machine to run IPv6? No bread for you!!" [Or basically give a
    better error on what its giving now].

    2) Give a warning and continue to work on the IPv4 sockets.

-Kevin

--
Paranoia is simply an optimistic outlook on life.