Re: [Exim] can't send large email messages

Author: Suresh Ramasubramanian
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] can't send large email messages
michael@??? [exim-users] <01/08/01 20:05 -0000>:
> > I can't send large email messages from exim 3.12 (debian) to an Exchange
> > server when passing packets through a CISCO PIX Firewall.
>
> This has annoyed us to no end, but there is an easy solution. Our PIX did
> something special with SMTP connections and disabling that feature got rid
> of the problem. I can ask for the exact command, firmware release etc,

no fixup protocol smtp 25 IIRC. That, and the exact place where the pix's
admin can shove his setup ...

> IMHO the PIX is broken in that respect, because some mails got through

Also in that "Mailguard" (the horribly sucky mail firwall PiX sets up) breaks
ESMTP, allowing only SMTP. More security by obscurity.

It was with great difficulty that I persuaded one of our clients from
sticking a mailguard in front of a perfectly secure set of sendmail and exim
boxen. I still thank my stars, and ROFL at the dirty looks their ahem...
"security consultant" was giving me. He was all in favor of scrapping the
sendmail / exim (on freebsd and slackware) for bloatus jokes, which is saying
a lot ...

    -suresh

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian <--> mallet <at> efn <dot> org