Re: [Exim] Re: RBL Domains

Author: Matt Bernstein
To: Jeffrey Goldberg
CC: daniel-ml-reply, Exim
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: RBL Domains
At 13:16 -0700 Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
>On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Daniel Einspanjer wrote:
>
>> I was thinking that I could run two instances of exim on separate ports.
>> The standard port 25 would not use SMTP Auth and would only accept mail for
>> local delivery, using RBL.
>> The other port (maybe 2525 or 26) would only accept SMTP Auth connections and
>> would not check RBL.
>
>Why not have two instances of exim listening on different interfaces, but
>both on port 25. See local_interfaces in the manual. You need a second
>IP address for the host, and obviously, a seperate name. But it should be
>easier on your users than what you suggested.

..or maybe two instances on the same IP address, with the authenticating
one on port 587 ("submission", or MSA as the sendmail folks call it).

I find myself in the sticky situation of potentially having three Exim
setups: one on port 25 for regular SMTP; one on 587 for proper SMTP TLS
and AUTH PLAIN (Mozilla and possibly Netscape if I could get it to work
properly); and one on a private port forwarded to from stunnel listening
on 465 (Eudora and Outlook to do SSL and AUTH LOGIN).

I'd write a HOWTO if I could achieve some sort of determinism from my
users' MUAs. If someone has got anywhere with this, I'd like to know :)

Matt