Re: [Exim] Re: RBL Domains

Author: John W Baxter
To: Exim
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: RBL Domains
At 13:20 +0100 7/19/2001, Mark S. Guz wrote:
>well if it won't respond within a reasonable time the build up of half
>open connections goes over the to many concurrent connections limit and
>whoops, server starts rejecting connections. so even if i exempted my
>own address space, the amount of mail coming from the outside world
>would swamp the server if it was takeing 30+ seconds to deal with each
>connection.

After some sort of attack the other day (it wasn't the RBL thing), I upped
the number of reserved connections (and the maximum number,
correspondingly), and put our user addresses into the reserved host list.
(Next step will be to move that list back into the .conf file to hopefully
reduce cycles spent parsing the file when the system needs the cycles for
other things...right now it's in a separate file.)

So far, this seems to be working, but that's just from looking at the logs
and seeing one more peak with outside connections refused interleaved with
inside connections were being accepted.

Chaos theory no doubt suggests it won't always work to give all our users
an inside track.

--John
Meanwhile, our route to earthlink is broken. Sigh!