Re: [Exim] RBL filtering on a per-user basis

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Suresh Ramasubramanian
Para: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] RBL filtering on a per-user basis
Dave C. [exim-users] <22/06/01 21:56 -0400>:

> Please do not remove the option.
> RBL should not be trying to dictate what people use the RBL for, since

Not speaking for the RBL, but this message from an RCN/Erols abuse desk
person (and a lot of the nanae thread it was posted to) might explain things.

<http://groups.google.com/groups?q=X-RBL-Warning+RBL+MAPS&hl=en&safe=off&rnum=6&ic=1&selm=slrn8drkp2.417.ereshkigal%40hmmm.colo.erols.net>

[quoting part of the post ...]
>> We had X-RBL-Warning: headers added for a while, but there were quite a
>> few of our users who automatically assumed that the spam was from the RBL
>> and we removed it until we've got a site off rcn.com for users to go to
>> in order to read more about it. Al forwarded a ton of email from our users
>> to them. Some were clueless and looking for more information and others
>> were incredibly rude since the users thought it was the RBL spamming them.
>> I kid you not. I wrote something up for him to send off to the users, but
>> they shouldn't have to deal with our clueless users.

Now, back to this ...

> it weakens their "We arent rejecting your mail, we just publish the
> lists, and individual sysadmins can decide what to do about it" stance
> which (should) absolve them of any liability.

Well, the article I quoted was posted in a day and age when these "cartooney
lawsuites" were not all that common (March 2000) :)

And again, MAPS has enough work to do without loozers cluttering up their
mailbox, right?

    --suresh
--
Suresh Ramasubramanian  <-->  mallet <at> efn <dot> org