Re: [Exim] dbm updates

Author: Phil Chambers
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] dbm updates
> > I see that exim_dbmbuild makes no provision for restoring the old .dir file after it
> > has been replaced if the rename of the .pag file files. It seems very very unlikely
> > that this would happen but ...
>
> That's a bit of paranoia that I should have included, yes. At the time,
> exim_dbmbuild was a quick lash-up to get something working, and it never
> got revisited. Noted.

I have installed the cdbm package so that I can work with single-file dbms and avoid
the potential update problem. For my part, therefore, I do not consider the
addition of locking as a priority at present.

I am running on SGI IRIX and that now has a single-file dbm option called mdbm.
That is what it now uses for the NIS maps. However, it requires the use of function
calls with "mdbm_..." names rather than "ndbm_..." and different arguments, so I
would have had to change all the calls in the exim source to use that. One wonders
how many more dbm variants we will end up with!

Phil.
Phil Chambers (postmaster@???)
University of Exeter