Re: [Exim] exim 3.22 problem on solaris 2.6

Author: Gary Palmer
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim 3.22 problem on solaris 2.6
Peter Radcliffe wrote in message ID
<20010611102652.A27942@???>:
> Philip Hazel <ph10@???> probably said:
> > Hmm. You are also on Solaris 2.6. Anybody see this on any other
> > operating system? We went from 2.5 to 8, and haven't seen this problem.
>
> I only run a few low to middling volume mail servers these days, all
> currently Solaris 2.6, and I have not seen this problem.

The occurance rate is very low ... on a box which handles 200,000+
messages/day (or there abouts), there were only a couple of thousand
orphans produced over a period of several days (maybe a week). On
another similarly configured server, only 800 were produced in the
same timefame. Its possible that its happening on other peoples
servers with much lower volumes, but at the rate of one or two a week,
which most people wouldn't notice unless they looked very closely.

(the reason why different machines in my site have different orphan
rates is, I believe, to do with the way we load balance connections
across the boxes, so its possible that particular mailers or remote
sites are more likely to trigger the bug than others, although that is
100% pure conjecture on my part at this time)