Re: [Exim] exim 3.22 problem on solaris 2.6

Author: Gary Palmer
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim 3.22 problem on solaris 2.6
Philip Hazel wrote in message ID
<Pine.SOL.4.33.0106111505190.12109-100000@???>:
> On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Gary Palmer wrote:
>
> > We recently tried upgrading to Exim 3.22 (compiled with 32 bit version
> > of gcc 2.95.2) on our inbound mx servers and while it appeared to
> > work, we noticed that a number of odd files were gathering in the
> > spool directory. They're all -D files, and they're all roughly the
> > same size. e.g.

> It does seem that there is some problem here, but it is going to be
> hellishly difficult to track down. I am planning to release 3.30 as soon
> as possible; before I do so I will stare at the code to see if I can
> spot any situations where this might happen and not leave any other
> traces around, but if I can't find anything, I think 3.30 will have to
> be released anyway, and the search for the cause will have to carry on
> afterwards.

If you like I can throw a pre-release 3.30 on one of the inbound boxes
and see if the problem repeats itself. It may take a day or two to
setup, but I think its doable.

> > The odd thing comes when you look in one of the files. At the start,
> > there is part of a header.

> Is the first line a message id? (*The* message id that corresponds to
> the file name?)

In a random sampling of 3 orphan -D files, yes, it is. It then has a
part of the text configuration file, then a date stamp, a null
pointer, and then garbled headers (e.g. same received line multiple
times, in the one I'm looking at) seperated by nulls, then another
null and another config file snippet, then (to my untrained eye) a
dump of MALLOC'd memory (has variable settings, etc).

Oh, FWIW, I have embeded perl enabled (and used) on this system. I
have no idea if that makes any difference or not.