[Exim-Announce] Exim development - current planning

Author: Philip Hazel
To: exim-users, exim-announce
Subject: [Exim-Announce] Exim development - current planning
I thought people might like to know the current state of Exim
development and what I expect to happen next.

1. I have more or less completed the "final" Exim 3 release. It is "final"
in the sense that I will not be adding any more functionality after
this. This release is mostly a maintenance release, but it does have
a couple of minor functional additions. However, because I have
updated the documentation (mainly because there were some things left
out of the 3.20 manual) the release number will be 3.30.

2. Next Wednesday I am going on vacation to California for 2.5 weeks,
and it would not be a good idea to release something and then
disappear, so I expect to release 3.30 fairly shortly after I get
back, say around the middle of June.

3. Meanwhile, development of Exim 4 is going quite well. I have done
some of the major revisions, such as merging directors and routers,
replacing the policy options with ACLs, and abandoning all use of
seteuid(). However, there is still a great deal of work to do, and
then the documentation will need to be completely rewritten. My best
estimate is that I may have alpha versions available for testing
towards the end of the year, with a view to real release some time in
the first quarter of 2002.

4. The latest date I have for the publication of my book is June 26.
This should be in good time for us to have copies for the basic Exim
course that I am running in Cambridge on July 24/25 (see previous
announcement, or http://www-tus.csx.cam.ac.uk/courses/exim/).

Philip