Re: [Exim] Exim 3.22 leaking file handles?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Theo Schlossnagle
CC: Florian Laws, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim 3.22 leaking file handles?
On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Theo Schlossnagle wrote:

> I have seen this on Linux. It is not an Exim problem -- at least on my
> system. I am running an older linux kernel (2.2.17) and Exim 3.14.
> Sometimes an exim process will get stuck in state 'D' and will never
> quit.

The following problem, which was fixed in 3.15, may be the explanation
for the stuck Exim processes:

13. The default connect_timeout in the smtp transport has been changed from
zero (use system default) to 5 minutes because on some systems, the system
default doesn't always seem to work. The value of 5 minutes is as recommended
by RFC 1123.

The "some system" on which this problem surfaced was a version of
Linux, but I can't recall the exact details.