Re: [Exim] Mail storage formats/ POP/IMAP/webmail daemon/etc…

Autor: Michael J. Tubby B.Sc. G8TIC
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Mail storage formats/ POP/IMAP/webmail daemon/etc..

> On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Dave C. wrote:
> >
> > > I need to re-implement an ISP mail system for 20,000+ users, I need to
> > > suppport both POP and IMAP, need a good webmail solution, and also

need
> > > this to be scalable as the userbase grows.
> >
> > There is a new O'Reilly book on managing IMAP which discusses all of

these
> > issues (and describes lots of things that one can do with IMAP, and how

> > actually do them with both cyrus and UW).
>
> Is the title "Managing IMAP" ? Or do you have the ISBN or something? I
> may have a look for this. (I'd have to find it in a local bookstore
> rather than online as I do not use credit cards)
>
> I'va also had a look a Courier-imap/sqwebmail. Anyone have an opinion on
> that?

I implemented Courier IMAP about 8-9 monts ago and have found it to be
excellent. Courier-IMAP beats WU-IMAPD every way you look at it....

- Maildir is a much better format for storing messages (fast, efficient,
etc)
- Courier-IMAP has a small footprint (as claimed by the author) - memory
and CPU utilisation is a fraction of that used by WU
- Shared folders are a boon (once you've figured them out)
- Exim (as the quality piece of software it is) delivers Maildir format
messages
perfectly (thanks Phil !!)

My set up, which works well, is:

- Exim as the MTA (all machines)
- Courier-IMAP as the POP/IMAP server (we dont use POP but its there)
- Horde/IMP as the webmail solution

This is good for us because:

- we use Exim throughout our organisation(s) on about 15 boxes
- email is delivered to machines inside the firewall and local users access
them with IMAP (OE, Netscrape, etc.) using Courier-IMAP
- our webmail server is on a machine outside the firewall (so it can be
accessed from the net) using IMP/Horde and it port-forwards back
in to the Courier-IMAP server

... all works a treat.

Mike