Re: [Exim] Slightly OT DNS<->MTA problem

Autor: Vadim Vygonets
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Slightly OT DNS<->MTA problem
I lost the original message. Bear with me.

Quoth Philip Hazel on Thu, Mar 29, 2001:
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Sascha E. Pollok wrote:
> > @        IN MX mail.customer.com.
> >          IN MX 2nd-mail.isp.com.

> > www      IN A  192.168.1.1

> Don't run an MTA on that host. When anybody complains, tell them to
> RTFRFC.

In this case, if mail is addressed to somebody@www.customer.com,
it should, according to the RFC, be sent directly to 192.168.1.1.
If you want it to be sent to mail.customer.com, add an MX record
to www ("www IN MX 10 mail"). The queer thing about all this is
that a wildcard MX record ("* IN MX 10 mail") won't help in this
case, because the sole existence of a record (not 'A' record, but
any record) named 'www' hides the wildcard records even of
different type, and a query for an MX record for www.customer.com
fails.

On my domain, I have MX records for vygo.net, *.vygo.net,
www.vygo.net, and more, though it would be nice to also have such
record for *.www.vygo.net for completeness (which I once did for
my friend's domain, after the said friend asked me why mail
addressed to him@???.www.his.domain doesn't get to
him).

Oh, and I believe the address is actually not 192.168.1.1.

Vadik.

--
Would like to kill a certain group of users.
        -- UNIX tech support call