Re: [Exim] Slightly OT DNS<->MTA problem

Autor: Sascha E. Pollok
A: Dave C.
CC: exim-users, sv
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Slightly OT DNS<->MTA problem
Well... thanks to all for your replies, ... so far ;-)

> The thing to do is inform your customer that their website is
> "www.customer.com", and not "customer.com", becuase website hostnames
> have to have an actual host name and not just a domain. If their ad
> people put "customer.com" in their billboards/etc, then that is a
> mistake on the ad people.

There are actually so many big websites doing that thingie.
Look at av.com, yahoo.com, test.com ... whatever.

Let me just summarize some replies. Philip suggested that sending
SMTP to a A record instead of an MX record is not a good thing
but people/MTAs are doing that, right? He suggested not running
an MTA on the webserver although I am not sure if the MTAs
going ga-ga would try the MX records afterwards.

2nd, having the domain name as host is not a great thing to do but
more and more customers are requesting that. What I didn't
get from the replies was a zone-file that would work. An example
like the one Greg gave me:

---snip---
        @       IN SOA  customer.com. postmaster.customer.com. (...)
                IN NS   customer.com.
                IN NS   ns.isp.net.
                IN MX   0 customer.com.
                IN A    192.168.1.1
---snap---

... doesn't bring me anywhere since I assume it looks just like
my original example (ok, I forgot the priorites in the email. sorry! I
have added them here).

> > @        IN MX 10 mail.customer.com.
> >          IN MX 20 2nd-mail.isp.com.

> > www      IN A  192.168.1.1
> > mail     IN A  192.168.1.2
> >          IN A  192.168.1.1

So, could someone just point me to the correct way to achieve
the wanted setup, please? I could go ahead and try to AXFR the
yahoo.com zonefile to check how they set this up but I assume
the DNSs won't give me that one ;-)).

Regards,
Sascha