Re: [Exim] RBL DUL and SMTP AUTH

Author: Michael J. Tubby B.Sc. G8TIC
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] RBL DUL and SMTP AUTH
> On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Lee Maguire wrote:
>
> > I have found a mailing-list message[1] from August 2000 indicating there
> > was no way to turn off RBL checking for authenticated hosts.
> >
> > Is this still the case?
>
> Yes. In Exim 3, the RBL checks happen as soon as a connection occurs,
> before any interaction takes place. Therefore, there is no knowledge of
> AUTH at the time.

This has caught me out too, and turns out to be a right problem :-(

When working overseas using a local ISP for access to the net (dialup)
I can get my email from my IMAP server but cant send out via our
mail relay because while I have enabled SMTP Auth and setup some
usernames/passwords it also has DUL/RBL enabled for SPAM prevention.

If this could be fixed in a version of Exim 3, by moving where the RBL
check is actually done, this would be a real boon ;-)

> In Exim 4, all the checking happens at the time of the RCPT command,
> and so what you want to do will be possible. However, it will be many
> months before Exim 4 is released (and some more before it is stable :-).

Intersting to note, but I could still do with a fix now...

Mike Tubby