Re: [Exim] problem with non printable characters and the vac…

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Marc MERLIN
A: Jeffrey Goldberg
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] problem with non printable characters and the vacation responder
On 2001-03-15 at 10:56 -0800, Phil Pennock wrote:
> > Expansion of "Re: $h_subject (autoreply)" in vacation_reply transport
> > contains non-printing character 10
>
> 10 < 128 so not affected by print_topbitchars.
>
> 10 is Carriage Return. You user created the vacation file on something
> like MS-DOS or MS-Windows. Strip the carriage-returns out.

Mmmh, you are right, the vacation message does contain ^M's
But in this case, why is the error message that the expansion of "Re:
$h_subject (autoreply)" failed?
Doesn't this indicate that $h_subject contains a non printable character and
not the body of .vacation.msg?

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 12:10:55PM -0800, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
> [mailed and posted]
>
> On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Marc MERLIN wrote:
>
> > Mail to one of our users is bouncing with:
> >
> > Expansion of "Re: $h_subject (autoreply)" in vacation_reply transport contains non-printing character 10
>
> I don't know if this is related, but shouldn't there be a colon at the end
> of "$h_subject:" ?

Unless it's mandated by syntax, I prefer without.

> Can you post the relevant transport and filter file (in any).

vacation_reply:
driver = autoreply
file = ${home}/.vacation.msg
file_expand
log = ${home}/.vacation.log
once = ${home}/.vacation.db
once_repeat = 7d
from = Autoreply System <mailer-daemon@???>
to = "$sender_address"
subject = "Re: $h_subject (autoreply)"
text = "\
Dear $h_from\n\n\
This is an automatic reply. Feel free to send additional\n\
mail, as only this one notice will be generated. The following\n\
is a prerecorded message, sent for ${local_part}@???:\n\
====================================================\n\n\
"

I didn't write this myself, I just used bits and pieces I saw in the
examples that are bundled together on the ftp site.

> > I do understand what's happening and I added
> > print_topbitchars = true
> > to exim.conf
> >
> > This will hopefully take care of the problem.
>
> I'd be surprised. First, 10 doesn't use the top-bit character. Second
> topbibchars really don't belong in headers.

I assumed it was the 10th character in the subject that wasn't printable :-)

> > I'm not quite sure why print_topbitchars isn't a default in this case
> > since mime, or no mime, it's quite common to see accentuated
> > characters in Email in raw 8 bit ascii,
>
> But only in bodies. And exim rarely looks at those or prints out anything
> from them.

I know that you're not supposed to have 8bit ascii in headers and that one
is supposed to use that infinitely ugly quoted printable escape sequence,
but some MTAs just pass the subject line straight through.

Marc

Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/ | Finger marc_f@??? for PGP key