Re: [Exim] problem with non printable characters and the vac…

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Jeffrey Goldberg
A: Marc MERLIN
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] problem with non printable characters and the vacation responder
[mailed and posted]

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Marc MERLIN wrote:

> Mail to one of our users is bouncing with:
>
> Expansion of "Re: $h_subject (autoreply)" in vacation_reply transport contains non-printing character 10

I don't know if this is related, but shouldn't there be a colon at the end
of "$h_subject:" ?

Can you post the relevant transport and filter file (in any).

> I do understand what's happening and I added
> print_topbitchars = true
> to exim.conf
>
> This will hopefully take care of the problem.

I'd be surprised. First, 10 doesn't use the top-bit character. Second
topbibchars really don't belong in headers.

> I'm not quite sure why print_topbitchars isn't a default in this case
> since mime, or no mime, it's quite common to see accentuated
> characters in Email in raw 8 bit ascii,

But only in bodies. And exim rarely looks at those or prints out anything
from them.

> but my concern is more: Could the error message appear in the subject
> line of the autorespond message instead of failing the vacation
> transport and bouncing the mail?

It really depends on what is causing the error.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg
I have recently moved, see http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/contact.html