Re: [Exim] Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender…

Author: Alexey Promokhov
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender (fwd)
On Sun, 11 Mar 2001, Dave C. wrote:

> > > A message was written about one hour ago. I'm just connected to ISP and
> > > tried to send it. But modem connection was unstable due to poor line
> > > quality. And the message has been bounced. But why? This error is really
> > > temporary, not permanent.
> >
> > You composed the message when offline and exim keeps trying to resend it,
> > fails. It's just telling you that the mail is stuck in your queue four hours
> > after you sent it.
> >
> > > I'm using the default retry configuration.
> >
> > You might want to increase the queue interval of exim
> >

> And extend the retry time to be longer than you reasonable expect to
> remain not connected for. (If you connect at least once a day, I would
> set it to 2 day.)..
>
> Also, you might want to consider some sort of mechanism to force an exim
> queue run (with -qff) when you do connect.

Maybe I'm described my problem not so clean... I'm connecting to ISP very
often, and retry time is long enough. Moreover, exim -qff is executed after
connection from /etc/ppp/ip-up.

Problem is that my telephone station was built more then 30 years ago, it
have very old equipment, and it is basically not designed for modem
connections. So, connection quality is very low, and modem going to retrain
very often.

Message was in queue about 1 hour when I called my ISP, and it cannot be
bounced because it was in queue during long time. I'm connected to ISP, and
exim -qqf was executed. Here is a log:

2001-03-11 11:04:33 2 args: exim -qqf
2001-03-11 11:04:33 Start queue run: pid=232 -qqf
2001-03-11 11:04:54 14c2TI-0000Jw-00 ** iv_comp@???: retry timeout exceeded
2001-03-11 11:04:54 7 args: /usr/local/bin/exim -t -oem -oi -f <> -E14c2TI-0000Jw-00
2001-03-11 11:04:54 14c3eg-00003p-00 <= <> R=14c2TI-0000Jw-00 U=root P=local S=2408 T="Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender" from <> for alexpro@???
2001-03-11 11:04:54 14c2TI-0000Jw-00 Error message sent to alexpro@???
2001-03-11 11:04:54 14c2TI-0000Jw-00 Completed

It is seems like a SMTP timeout or other SMTP error. (Modem connection was
very poor). But AFAIU that message should be deferred, not bounced...

--
Alexey Promokhov <alexpro@???>, 2:5020/1513@FidoNet