Re: [Exim] Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender…

Author: Suresh Ramasubramanian
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender (fwd)
Dave C. rearranged electrons thusly:

> Also, you might want to consider some sort of mechanism to force an exim
> queue run (with -qff) when you do connect.

In linux, that'd be as simple as putting exim -qff in /etc/ppp/ip-up.local
Speaking of that, I'm writing a howto for configuring exim on a dialup
connected computer, somewhat like my howto for sendmail at
http://www.hserus.net/sendmail.html (part of http://www.hserus.net/dlhowto.html)

So, here's what I've used -

queue_remote_domains = *

and then

# This router routes to remote hosts over SMTP using a DNS lookup with
# default options.

route_append:
driver=domainlist
transport=remote_smtp
route_list="* hydmr.bplnet.com byname"
lookuphost:
driver = lookuphost
transport = remote_smtp

Finally a retry configuration of

*           *       F,2h,15m; G,16h,1h,1.5; F,4d,8h

[haven't changed this as there's a cronjob set to dial out every hour, do a
fetchmail, exim -qff and then disconnect from ppp]

Now my question (probably in the FAQ but I'm considerably decaffeinated, so
would appreciate a pointer) is how to turn off DNS lookups locally while
passing the mail to a smarthost (to speed up things locally, as the smarthost
will anyway do its own dns lookups before delivery)

In sendmail, that's done using a service.switch file ... in postfix it's as
simple as disable_dns_lookups = yes in main.cf, so I think it'll be quite
simple in exim as well)

    -s

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian <--> mallet <at> efn <dot> org