Re: [Exim] forcing bounced mail + directing unknown mail to …

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Rejo Zenger
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] forcing bounced mail + directing unknown mail to postmaster
On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, Rejo Zenger wrote:

> This is from the config file:
>
>   luser_relay:
>     driver = smartuser
>     condition = "${if match {$local_part}{4.*(f|r|m|a)\.rejo} {yes}{no} }"
>     new_address = rejo@???

>   luser_relay_n_bounce:
>     driver = smartuser
>     unseen = true
>     new_address = rejo@???

> So, the first one should catch mail addressed to
> <4963006438f.rejo@???>. If i run
>

>   luser_relay director called for 4963006438f.rejo@???
>   luser_relay director generated rejo@???
>     errors_to=NULL transport=NULL
>     uid=unset gid=unset home=NULL

It does indeed catch mail addressed to that address.

>   luser_relay director: error for 4963006438f.rejo
>     message: <none>

> It does not match the
> luser_relay director (why not?)

Actually, it does. The message "error for" is a bug in Exim 3.16 (fixed
in next release). There is no error! (That's why message is <none>.)

>and than the entire thing repeats, with
> 'rejo' as local_part.

Yes, it will do. That's what happens when smartuser changes a local
part. That's what you have configured it to do.

Sorry, I've lost the thread of what you are trying to achieve - I'm too
busy this week - but what you have configured is:

1. If the local part matches that pattern (which, incidentally, you
could do more simply by setting "local_parts" instead of "condition"),
the message is forwarded to rejo@???.

2. Otherwise, a copy of the message is sent to rejo@???,
and the base address itself fails (assuming there are no following
directors).

At least, that's what it should do if there are no bugs.