Re: [Exim] exim through gateway?

Author: ktb
To: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim through gateway?
Roger Burton West wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 11:18:51PM -0600, ktb wrote:
> >Do I have to do anything special to make it work
> >through the gateway (NAT)? Are there any good (easy to follow) docs
> >describing my scenario?
>
> You shouldn't need to do anything strange at all. In the Debian
> eximconfig, select a stand-alone system; and make sure the firewall
> allows outgoing connections to port 25.
>
> For receiving mail via SMTP (this is an unusual thing for an ISP to
> offer, are you sure you want it?) make sure the firewall allows incoming
> connections to port 25 on your mailserver.
>
> You don't describe what problems you're having, so it's a little hard to
> give any more information than this.

Thanks for your reply. You email has shown me I may not know what
I'm looking for here. I'm using the netscape mail program with pop
right now. What I would like to do is ssh into my box here at home
from work and read my mail so I thought I would switch to a text
based mailer. Maybe all I need is a text based mailer that supports
pop and filtering if there is such an animal.

As far as receiving mail I was planing on using procmail or
fetchmail to do that. Am I thinking wrong that I can use exim to
mail out and procmail or fetchmail to snag my pop mail from my isp?
Thanks,
kent