[Exim] Re: [Exim] 8 bit characters: í

Author: Jeffrey Goldberg
To: mike
CC: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Re: [Exim] 8 bit characters: í
On 17 Nov 2000, mike wrote:

> feel free to shoot me down, I admit I am still learning here

While the body of a message may have 8bit characters, the headers may
not. Instead these get encoded according to some RFC (I can't find it at
the moment, but I'm not looking very hard) there is a quoted-printable
style (but it is not quoted printable) way of encoding these things).

The MUA should be doing this and not the MTA. So your perl script
is the MUA and so should be doing it. Sorry I can't point you to the RFC
in question, but it is out there.

To see an example, look at the headers of this message in something that
isn't an MUA. That is take a look at it directly in its spool file and
note both the "ó" I've added to "Goldberg" in the From line and the "í"
I've added to the Subject line.

What you should see when you examine directly is something like

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jeffrey_G=F3ldberg?= <jeffrey+lists@???>

and

Subject: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Re=3A_=5BExim=5D_8_bit_characters=3A_=ED?=

Although your MUA should show those to you in a nicer form.

there is probably a perl module for doing that sort of thing.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg
I have recently moved, see http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/contact.html